• Purpose and Objectives
• Who should use these Tutorials
• Self-directed Learning
• Using the Tutorials
• Getting Started
• Technical Requirements
1. Purpose and Objectives
Welcome to the iKnow series of online tutorials! These tutorials cover basic, intermediate, and advanced sensor-related topics like, sensing theory, applications, products, and advanced topics.
Within each topic, you'll find short lessons on specific subjects. We created lessons that try to answer questions you have. Each lesson is designed to provide only the information that you need, embedding terms and reference materials.
Our objectives are to:
- Create an easy-to-use learning environment for foundational content about sensors.
- Provide content you can get whenever and wherever you need, to learn about sensors.
2. Who should use these Tutorials
These tutorials are for anyone curious about the sensor industry. Most of the content here is foundational and can be used by anyone who:
- Wants an introduction to the sensor industry.
- Seeks to gain product familiarity.
- Needs specific theoretical or application information.
- Wants to take a refresher course.
3. Self-directed Learning
Online learning means you don't have to take time away from work to travel and attend traditional classroom-based training. Online learning means you choose: you choose what you want to learn, when you want to learn, how fast or how slow you go through the lessons. You can start or quit at any time or anywhere in the lesson.
Most lessons are short, between 10-20 minutes. That's the recommended time. But you direct your learning. Take these lessons at your own pace, in your own space.
Please remember, you are still part of the Banner learning community. Feel free to contact your tutor with any content-related questions.
4. Using the Tutorials
- Navigation: The navigation bar will help you find your way around the site. If you need to navigate through the lesson you are in, you can use the topic list in the left-hand column.
- Printing: You may choose to print a single page of a lesson by holding down the Ctrl + P keys. In the reference section, you will also find many other printable items.
- FYI: Not everything in your lesson is part of the topic. Some things are just interesting to know. If you are interested in some incidental learning in your lesson, click on the FYI button.
- Glossary: You may notice some underlined words in your lesson. These words are found in the glossary and if you click on them, they will appear on the bottom of the screen.
- Bold: Some words appear in bold. This is to draw your attention to an important word or concept.
- Objectives Page: All lessons start with an Objectives Page. The purpose of this page is to help you identify and organize the relevant information in the lesson. Keep these objectives in mind as you read on. When you reach the end of the lesson, these objectives will be reviewed on the Conclusion page.
5. Getting Started
When you open up the tutorial site, you will arrive at the home page. From here, choose a division based on your applications needs. You may choose:
- Photoelectrics if your sensing needs are general.
- Measurement & Inspection and Vision if your application needs require that your sensor performs with a high degree of accuracy.
- Machine Safety if you are setting up a sensing system for personnel safety.
When you are on a specific division page, you may choose a category.
Under each category you will find lessons. To see the topics in a lesson, click on the lesson graphic. You will see a lesson plan display in the left-hand column. If you are interested, you may start the lesson by clicking on begin.
6. Technical Requirements
This site is best viewed with the following:
Browser: Internet Explorer
Resolution: 800 x 600 or greater
Speed: 56K or greater