The magnetic switch cannot be positive-opening
by its design. The operation is considered a “complementary” action; one channel is always open and one channel is always closed.
To increase the safety circuit integrity
of your magnetic interlocking switch, a magnetic controller or safety module
is used to:
- Provide monitoring for contact failure (where the contacts are no longer in opposite states), and to prevent the machine from restarting if the switch should fail.
- Provide a reset routine so that the machine doesn’t simply restart when the guard is closed.
- Provide a means for External Device Monitoring (EDM).
- Provide protective safety stop circuits.
- Self-monitors for internal faults.
Monitoring: (Machine Safety) The verification of system components to detect failures or faults of any part of the monitored system that could affect the performance of safety-related functions.